Hikobike

Forums Commuting Hikobike

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Simon Mckenzie
      Participant

Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I’m looking for a commuter bike that can do some utility work, carry a child on the back and be a true car replacement at a reasonable price along the lines of an Ezee Expedir or Hikobike Ute.  Having ridden a few ebikes, I find I prefer the feel of a mid-drive, so the Ute looks good and well specced for the price (cirka $5k).  The only other bike that seems similar for the same kind of price is the Yuba electric Boda Boda.

I’m based in Dunedin, so whatever I end up with needs to be quite good on hills.

All of them seem to have good quality components, but I can’t find any kind of review or anything about Hikobikes.  Are they an Alibaba special, or are they as they say designed in NZ?  Does anyone know anything about Hikobike and are there any independent reviews (specifically of the Hikobike Ute) that anyone knows about, or has anyone bought one?

Appreciate any real world feedback about these types of bikes.

Cheers

Simon

Simon Mckenzie
      Participant

Hello out there …

Hellloooooo.

Cheers

Simon McKenzie 😉

davidc009
      Participant

Hi Simon

Hiko is NOT an Alibaba special but a straight up NZ Firm based out near Auckland Airport with their bikes available from a variety of agents such as Bikes and Barbers in Newmarket and Off The Chain Cycles in Dunedin.  The Hiko range was on show at the 2019 e-bike exhibition at the Cloud on the Auckland waterfront with both their single rider bikes and their cargo bikes on display and able to be trialed then and there.  Not much help to you however in Dunedin…! 🙂

Like you,  when I was looking could not find any independent reviews about any of the Hiko models.  Since then I have found this one: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/hikobike.co.uk .   On a personal note I trialed many different e-bikes over a period of  around two years asking lots of sales people lots of probably very basic questions.  I found I kept returning to the Hiko Rangler so I duly purchased one a year ago – a decision I have not regretted.  I have found the bike to be excellent and it certainly meets all my needs (general use around town and also on bike and rail trails – a really good hybrid).   I would suggest that even Baldwin Street would be well within the Rangler’s capacity – it certainly zooms up Mt Eden!

Hiko as a firm I have found to be very easy to talk to and from whom to seek advice and suggestions.  Oliver, the owner, goes that extra mile which I have really appreciated.   It may pay to give the firm a ring and have a chat.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Commuting Hikobike